Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thailand

The land of the free. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that I'll be in arriving in Bangkok in 10 hours time. It's been such a long time since I've been there. You see, my mom's Thai, and we used to take short trips to Thailand when I was alot younger. I have fond memories of that place. The best memory I had of Thailand was when I visited my grandmother's place. It was the first time I ever saw her. She was seated down naked, and someone was helping her shower. My mom pointed towards the old naked women and said :" That's your grandmother". And I thought: " That's my grandma?" Not the best way to see my grandma for the first time, but that was life in a Kampung. The wooden kampung was built alongside a river, and instead of cars parked in a garage, there were boats docked under a wooden shack. I remember being taken for a ride on the boat, and I saw how the locals lived. I remember peeing into the river. The very same river where we caught some fish for dinner. We spent a night there and I remember staring out of my green mosquito net bubble, looking up into the sky, and listening to the crickets sing.
All that is gone now because they've sold the place, and all of my family has moved to various places. What a shame.
Anyways, I'll be spending the next 11 days there. I believe I'll have alot of fun, just seeing my family there and getting to know them. I can't speak a word of Thai right now, but just maybe, I might come back with a handful of phrases.

I've been thinking alot lately about the present time, the future and everything in between. I'm happy about alot of things, and at the same time, I'm bummed that I'm not seeing some things go my way, but that's life eh? And to think that I can actually bake a cake and have all of it. But it just dosen't work that way.
I can't wait to get out of Singapore and spend some time away from everything. It's gonna be a much needed break. Laters!

No comments: