Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The feast of two kings and a queen that was inspired.

The planned Christmas Dinner went well.
It never would have been possible without Jeremy's help, my "other half" in my culinary dreams, and our passion for good food.
The plan was simple. He makes the appetizers and main courses, I make the dessert.

You'd think that after preparing a meal of a Rocket Salad with Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes, Feta Cheese and grated Parmesan Cheese, Bruschetta, Roast leg of Lamb with Thyme and Garlic, Roast Beef that has been massaged with Dijon Mustard, wonderfully moist Mashed Potatoes, a Strawberry Soup with Orange and Rosemary Sorbet and Tiramisu, you'd be tired, and full.

Well yea, we were all full, but why waste the leftover tiramisu (All four slices)?
There's something about digging into food that's left in its pan, and just talking.
Good times guranteed.

It's late into the night, we're hungry again, and that's when the feast begins.
Left over eggwhites from the tiramisu were fried with mushrooms, and I got the bright idea of frying camembert cheese. My sister says it's wondeful, when dipped in batter and fried, but I thought I'd just coat it with seasoned flour. I thought I had fully understood frying, after all those months of working the frialator at work. But double coating camembert cheese for frying, is not good. I can't wait to try it battered. Or breaded.

The overflow of feasting carried onto the next night. My wonderful friend Teri, took Jeremy and I, for good old "Zhi Char" food in Chinatown. We had Chee Cheong Faan, Minced Pork and Liver Porridge, Stir Fried Baby Calamari with ginger, Slice Fish Noodles, Fried Prawn Paste Chicken,
Fried Kai Lan vegetable with garlic (and MSG, ack).
Oh, and it dosen't end there.
After dropping Jeremy off at the army camp, we decided on going to Liquid Kitchen, this snazzy watering hole along Upp. Thomson Road for a Chocolate Fondue. It had your usual Marshmellows, Strawberries, kiwis, and grapes, which I thought was rather odd, but it worked.

It also dosen't end here.
The next day for dinner, we headed to the American Club where we shared a large Nacho Machos ( Tortilla Chips with jalapenos, tomatoes and green peppers, mozzarella cheese, and salsa and sourcream on the side), and a Bacon Cheese Burger with fries on the side. I'm talking about a real burger. Not marinated pieces of cardboard, microwaved, dressed up with garnishes and disguised as a burger.
All this washed down with a chocolate milkshake.

I thought it'd end there, and we'd wrap up the night with a movie. It's a shame it didn't work out, but we had gelatos. There's this gelato joint called Gelatissimo, and I had a hunch it was Australian owned. And it is.
The service was excellant. I believe the staff were trained, or rather, they were actually interested to serve you. It was a good experience, albeit a short one. Ordering and receiving the Lemon and PassionFruit Gelato was a breeze. Good on them for good service. It's so hard to get good service these days.

Too bad I didn't get time to take pictures, but I had a blast this past few days.

Maybe the feast that started with left over tiramisus' and eggwhites will continue over the next few weeks.
I keep telling the two: "We'll stop in February, when Teri goes back to Perth."

No comments: